Monday, August 22, 2011

101 Things I Didn't Learn in Architecture School

I'm a fan of the little book 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School.  It's compact, simply illustrated (and illustrative), honest, and well-done.  However, a colleague of mine recently sent me this link for 101 Things I Didn't Learn in Architecture School.  First of all, how have I lived my life without knowing that ArchDaily existed?  I think I really do live under a rock.  Second, this list is the perfect counterpoint to Matthew Frederick's lovely tome.  This is the realistic side of architecture in a no-nonsense but civil list.  


My personal favorites:
9. It's architecture, not medicine.  You can take a break and no one will die.
12. The industry underpays.  Push for what you are worth.
49. If you are an architect, you should automatically qualify for psychotherapy and medication.
68.  Archi-babble does not make you sound cool.
98. Being good at software does not make you a good architect.


Have a look at the list and tell me in the comments: which ones ring true for you?  What's missing from the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment