Monday, January 4, 2010

Getting (re)started in 2010

I've been out of the office for a few weeks taking some much-needed (though some of it forced) R&R. It just hit me this past weekend that I have to start work today and get back into the swing of things. Fortunately, I've been checking my work email a couple of times each week while I've been gone. I say "fortunately" because email eats much of our time in the modern workplace, and regularly emptying out my inbox has prevented overload. I was able to reply to a surprise email from a client who wanted to restart a project that went on hold last year, and I was able to pass on a few misdirected emails and questions. Just as importantly, I deleted all the "the copier is down" and "there's cookies in the break room" type of emails as well as emails from various companies and non-profit/professional organizations. When I walk in and sit down at my desk for the first time in three weeks, it will be easier to think.

If you've been off for a while and are able to remotely access your work email from home, I highly recommend it. If you're only off for a couple of days, it's not such a big deal, but a four-day weekend or more will leave you eyeball-deep in a few work emails surrounded by junk. After you've settled the email stuff, then you can get back to bigger tasks, like asking yourself "What was I doing last week, anyway?"

I don't make New Year's resolutions--I've found that real change doesn't depend on the purchase of a new calendar. However, I really appreciate all the feedback and questions I've received from my readers so far, and I really need you to keep it coming! Any question or comment, no matter how minor, is important to me. I like knowing what's important to interns, because it's you who will inherit this profession, and I want it to be strong and relevant. So whether you email me at my address in the sidebar or leave a comment on this or another blog post, drop me a line. Here's to a great 2010 (which hopefully will be better than the previous two years)!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year, and here's to a busy, productive 2010...I plan for it to be the year I finish up IDP & ARE. I hope you keep up the blog, it's a great resource and forum.

    P.S. I would *kill* to have an overflowing work email inbox!!

    ReplyDelete