Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Vacations: timing isn't everything

This week's post is late because I've been working towards a deadline next week and forgot to post anything.  The deadline next week is doubly important with the impending Memorial Day weekend holiday.  If we don't make our deadline next week, then we almost might as well wait two more weeks to finish CDs because some of us on the project team, including yours truly, will be taking part of Memorial Day week off.  But we can't take the extra time because it will mess up the schedule and put the project behind.

I booked my Memorial Day trip a few months ago, thinking that there's no way there would be a deadline around a holiday.  You would think I'd know better after almost twelve years of doing this for a living, but alas.  I never once thought of canceling my vacay, though.  My take on vacations and time off is echoed by some of the wisest words I've ever heard an intern say.  Recently, an intern my office said, "There's never a good time to take your vacation, so you might as well take it when you want to."  It's good advice.

So take your vacation.  Leave town.  Don't leave town and don't answer the phone or email.  Take the break, enjoy the downtime, and use your vacation.  You've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment